10.04.2008

20-Year Germany Frankfurt Mission Reunion


On May 4, 1988 I entered the MTC. Amazing to think that it's been 20 years! More than any other job or calling, I loved learning and teaching the gospel of Jesus Christ. I'm anxious for the day when I can have that full-time job again. (Sorry future grandkids: So long as I'm healthy, you may not get to see much of me!)

I served under the presidency of David and Anne Wirthlin and was thrilled to see them at the reunion last Thursday. The first half of my mission I served under Christian and Karma Vikari; they were unable to attend the reunion. During my mission, I served in 11 cities with 20 different companions. The cities included Darmstadt, Friedberg, Koeln, Pirmasens, Frankfurt, Idar-Oberstein, Karlsruhe, Krefeld, Sohren, Kaiserslautern, and Dortmund. My companions were Smith (Mark), Reynolds, Gansauge, Tatton, Wimmer, Mostert, Colton, Ford, Wares, Schmidt (Dean), Doud, Cooper, Furlong, Gibson, Cook, Seamons, Sparkawk, Sanft, Johns, and Knight. I couldn't believe that out of 20 companions, only one showed up at the reunion! It was sure good to see Brian Seamons, though.

The pictures I took on my mission are slides. The reunion may have been nostalgic enough to inspire me to dig out those slides and scan them so that I can make an electronic slideshow. I'd like my children to be able to readily identify with my mission experience, so I think I'll do that this weekend.

2 comments:

T Fowler said...

Sounds like fun. Germany must have been a great place to serve, full of history and culture. I'm impressed that you can remember so many places and names! Greg took a few pictures that I have scrapbooked, but our kids favorite thing from his mission is the plastic, tacky lawn gnome that sits in our family room. I'm sure your kids will love seeing your pictures.

k8theriver said...

i was there in june to pick my brother up from the same mission. i LOVED germany. germans are so nice. and doners are so yummy.