8.10.2008

Lead by Example - Morgan's Reunion

A wise person once said, "Parents, watch what you do; you never know who else is watching." That quote hit me full force the other day as I came down the hall after showering and getting ready for the day. As I turned the corner this is what I saw and Morgan immediately said, "Look, Mom, I'm having a baby reunion."

July is usually our time for reunions with extended family and friends. I couldn't believe how quickly a four-year-old picked up on what a reunion is! What else has she (not to mention the seven-year-old and the two ten-year-olds) been "watching" us do lately? One of my favorite quotes by the prophet, Thomas S. Monson, is, "As parents, we should remember that our lives may be the book from the family library which the children most treasure. Are our examples worthy of emulation? Unlike the book on the library shelf, the covers of which shield the contents, our lives cannot be closed. Parents, we truly are an open book."

I feel a deep gratitude that I have children who are surrounded by good examples in our families, our neighbors, and our church. I'm so grateful that the gospel has taught me principles to live by that help me live in a way I will be pleased with, no matter who is watching. Most of all, I'm grateful for my kids and the little lessons they teach me every day. I only hope what I'm "writing" in my life is teaching them what I want them to know.

4 comments:

Kent said...

I totally relate to this post. Tyler really keeps me on my toes because I keep catching him developing some of my habits, and usually not the best ones.

T Fowler said...

Thanks for the great parenting reminder. I really need that right now (especially since it's the last week of summer and i've been pretty witchy the last few weeks!) Morgan's a cutie, I love all the dolls.

Jenny said...

Very profound. I can't wait for school to start!

Camille said...

What wonderful food for thought. It's something we all should evaluate.