7.13.2008

Ellidy

Mom, did you know that Ellidy is staying with us for 40 nights? Her family is in England. She couldn't go with them because they don't have enough toothbrushes for her. She can visit us because we have a extra. I like this candy. What is it called again? Nerds? I had these before at Ellidy's. We liked them. Do you know Ellidy is fourteen? She has her driver license. When we go to Dizzily-land, her family might come. They will stay in the next room of ours. But not really, cause she's just my 'maginary friend, huh?

For the last year Morgan's "best friend" has been Ellidy. We hear about her several times a day. She is apparently super-human as anytime anyone in the family shares a story or event, Ellidy has already done it, beat it, had it, or can do it better. For instance, yesterday I learned that she can jump higher than mountains!

Morgan first started talking about her friend Ellidy one day when we were driving to McDonalds. We passed a house with one of Craig's city council campaign signs on the fence. Morgan said, "That's my friend Ellidy's house. She's voting for our dad."

At first I thought Ellidy must be a friend from preschool. It took me three weeks to realize that Ellidy was imaginary because the things Morgan told me were so matter-of-fact, and she always pointed to the same house when we drove by and said, "That's Ellidy's house."

I have really enjoyed having Ellidy in our lives because she has helped me learn so much about Morgan. Two days ago was the first time Morgan verbalized her awareness that Ellidy is imaginary. It kind of made me sad. I'll miss Ellidy when she's gone. But, at least for the next 40 nights, if you think you see Morgan talking to herself, just remember that Ellidy is visiting.

5 comments:

Camille said...

How fun -- I don't remember any of my kids ever having imaginary friends. But Teancum did carry around his Curious George doll for years as if he was his best friend.

Wendy said...

That's so cute....it's so sad they have to grow up and leave some of those things behind, especially when it's your baby!

shana said...

That's cute, she told me today that was her imaginary friend, Oliva told her she had one too! Spencer's immaginary friend was named Edga, we knew it was immaginary right away just because of the name--what 3 year old would be named Edga?

T Fowler said...

What a sweet imagination Morgan has; she is a lucky girl to be able to use her imagination to have a friend. Enoch just uses his imagination to be different animals: kitty, frog, horse, dog, duck and donkey. It's like living at the zoo!

Leslie said...

She is going to love that you recorded this when she is older. What a cute little one she is!