7.26.2008

Pioneer Day

Pioneer Day is one of our favorite holidays. We are so blessed to live in the wonderful state of Utah and are so grateful for the pioneers who crossed the plains to establish it. As members of the Church we're so blessed to have the heritage of pioneers who sacrificed so that we could worship the Lord without inhibition and persecution. Every year we have a big family BBQ to celebrate the day. Throw in some kiddie pools and a hose and you've got a serious party going on!


Are you all just so astounded at my grace? I suppose that's why they're called "kiddie" pools! After drying off it's time for parachutes, poppers, and brownies (fast becoming a tradition itself).

Did I mention brownies were just dessert appetizers? Grandpa Besaw lit a fire so we could make s'mores. I only had two brownies and a s'more, so why is it that my pregnant sister is still thinner than me?!

During s'mores guests came out of the woodwork—I mean rockwork—as a gopher snake slithered from the rocks into the firepit to curl up next to the warm coals. The kids enjoyed that! Too bad I was so full of brownies and s'mores: I hear roast snake tastes like chicken!

No family fireworks celebration is complete without our version of "Flashdance," so we took the party up to the street to get down.

We really enjoyed celbrating the 24th of July at Grandma and Grandpa Besaw's house, and we already look forward to Pioneer Day next year. After all, "no toil nor labor" here; "Happy day! All is well!"

6 comments:

T Fowler said...

What a fun holiday for your family. It sounds like you have some great traditions for the kids to look forward to with extended family. Don't you love summer holidays!

Jenny said...

I'm glad you had such a fun day!

Leslie said...

Those are some seriously cute pictures! Sounds like your parents are absolutely wonderful to have all those activities planned for the family.

Wendy said...

you are so nonchalant about he snake..I would have been freaking out!!!

Kent said...

Thanks for posting this so I could just add a link. Your blog always looks so much cooler than mine!

Camille said...

all right, roasted snake tasting like chicken makes me want to throw up! :) I love the pool shot, you brave girl. No, they're just called kiddie pools because they make you feel young again.